Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Mermaid on the Prairie???



So I wanted my own version of the very popular Mermaid Newborn  photo prop outfit. So I designed my own. I wanted clearly defined scales on the tail and I felt the need to do something a little different with the tail fin to make it my own. In order to get the 3d effect of scales on the tail I designed it to be made from the top down (waist down.) A rarely used technique is used to make a stretchy waist. The fin is an oddity in itself....straight from the circus that is my own mind. lol  
The tail is a cocoon (or sack) that baby's legs go in. It fits up to baby's waist. And it wouldn't be complete without the headband and bikini top. 

Right now the pattern is only written for newborn size. It can stretch up to a few months. (I may sit down sometime soon and crunch the numbers to come up with some larger sizes.) 
The pattern can be found in my ravelry shop and my etsy shop.

Another thing I have started is my new youtube channel: LonghornPrairie. But so far, as of this writing, I only have one video posted. It is a tutorial on how to work the special stitch that is used in the waist and fin of the tail. It is 'unlisted' so only those who have purchased the pattern can get the link for the video. Full customer support is offered with all of my crochet patterns.

Because it seems weird to me to have my own mermaid design for sale and also be selling one that I make from another person's pattern I have stopped offering the other mermaid set that I have been selling for the past year or so. It is a wonderful design and I am grateful to Brindy Rae for allowing me to purchase that pattern from her. The profits from the many finished sets that I have made & sold have helped my family get the bills paid.
I also make and sell the finished mermaid set for those who don't crochet. That can also be found here in my etsy shop.
I hope to have some more professional looking photos with a model soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment